Saturday, May 11, 2013

Humanities Iowa Speaking and Traveling Exhibit


My speaking engagements have been going great and whether at the Vail Symposium or my involvement traveling around Iowa through the Humanities Iowa speaking program (part of the National Endowment for the Humanities), I am really enjoying getting out and telling my story of being a witness to great change on this planet.

I also have my "One Island One Ocean" exhibit that is available for showing for anyone interested. This is an interactive exhibit about our 28,000 mile sailing voyage around the N/S American continents. Photographs, video and story-telling.  Next booked exhibit begins January 2014 at the University of Iowa as part of a larger Arctic exploration exhibit at the university galleries.

Summer is fast approaching and it will be very busy at my gallery and studio but please keep me in mind if you are interested in a keynote speaker for your group, large or small. I am currently speaking about the "new" Northwest Passage, you know, the ice-free one that small boats are zipping through every summer now. I tell the history of the exploration of the passage and of my three attempts to transit this infamous body of pack ice and water.

It is a crazy time we live in. There are many climate change "deniers" out there even though we have now hit 400 ppm of CO2 in the atmosphere and lost half of the north polar ice cap in the past 35 years. There are 7 billion people on the planet, with 5 billion of those living within 100 miles of the ocean putting tremendous stress on our water resources of all types and threatening more disasters with this concentration of life so close to the waters edge.

We'll explore our world through my adventures on these edges of civilization. Please book me for an event soon. Thanks, David

No comments: